A New Spin on Beloved Classics; The R.L. Stine Horror Graphic Novel Just Beyond: The Scare School

    Just Beyond: The Scare School was a book I admittedly picked up at the Scholastic Book Fair because of the R.L. Stine name. I had been a long-time fan of R.L. Stine, loving the 'Slappy' character he had created and following his works either through reading his novels or watching the adapted movies and TV shows. So when I found out he began making graphic novels, I was ecstatic. It didn't take me long to confirm mentally this was what I wanted to spend my money on.



    The book follows the three main characters: twins Jess and Josh, as well as their friend and neighbor, Marco. They're middle schoolers who attend The Scare School, named after their principal George P. Scare. After discovering an unusual-looking robot, they decide to investigate, only to find out it's alive! They follow the robot animal to a portal in their school's basement boiler room. The portal takes them to a school in an alternate universe, led by their principal Dr. Scare, and their drama club teacher Mrs. Daley. But the real horrors don't start until they realize what information is being fed to the students in this 'other school.' While being their age, these students have been kept in the dark and deprived of basic skills to stay submissive and not even question their surroundings. Before getting the chance to escape, Jess, Josh, and Marco get caught and ratted out. Will they escape? Is this their new life?

    This book was super interesting, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the supernatural and likes cool graphics. It's a fast read, and you'd be able to finish it in one sitting. 

                                                                                                        - Shanna

Comments

  1. As a kid I LOVED the R.L Stine series and it's amazing to see that others loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always too scared in elementary school to read the R. L. Stine books, even though my school library had a very expansive collection. I'd like to think I'm braver now, but I still don't find myself reaching for horror novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shanna! I feel like all the childhood books you talk about, I haven't read. I regret not adventuring more into books when i was younger. Good review!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

Ace of Spades review by Karenna