An analysis of the song Tolerate It by Taylor Swift - By Lily Rowell

Hi! In this week's blog post I will be taking a much different approach than I have recently and going back to my first blog post in a way where I gave book recommendations based off of Taylor Swift’s albums. But in this post I will be discussing Swift’s songwriting methods and how they convey a story of unrequited love and pain,  specifically in her song Tolerate It from her album Evermore. I hope you enjoy :)


highlight = my favorite lines 


[Verse 1]

I sit and watch you readin' with your head low

I wake and watch you breathin' with your eyes closed


I sit and watch you

I notice everything you do or don't do

You're so much older and wiser, and I


Verse 1: This verse really sets the story, giving depictions of her lover from her point of view using smaller details that most people might not notice but she does. I feel that when you truly look up to someone you “notice” everything they do and that is what Swift says that she does here. The line “I notice everything you do or don’t do” really hits home for me, especially the last part. Sometimes hoping that someone will do something and they end up not doing it (like showing affection or supporting her in this relationship) gives you their answer of where they stand in this kind of situation. This last line sets a recurring theme of age throughout the song and we can even see it in other songs from her past and newer albums. 



[Chorus]

I wait by the door like I'm just a kid

Use my best colors for your portrait


Lay the table with the fancy shit


And watch you tolerate it


If it's all in my head, tell me now

Tell me I've got it wrong somehow


I know my love should be celebrated

But you tolerate it


Chorus: The chorus also mentions age and the picture Swift paints of them in her head, supporting her reasoning for staying with them. Like before and Swift mentions her needing to show off to get attention from her lover but they just tolerate it. In the lyric “If it's all in my head tell me now, tell me I’ve got it wrong somehow”, supports the idea of her not wanting to let him go.



[Verse 2]

I greet you with a battle hero's welcome


I take your indiscretions all in good fun


I sit and listеn

I polish plates until they gleam and glistеn

You're so much older and wiser, and I


Verse 2: Swift mentions here kinda a similar situation to Purple Hibiscus with Mama Beatrice cleaning the figurines which I thought was ironic reading the book before fully analyzing the song.



[Chorus]

I wait by the door like I'm just a kid

Use my best colors for your portrait


Lay the table with the fancy shit

And watch you tolerate it


If it's all in my head, tell me now

Tell me I've got it wrong somehow


I know my love should be celebrated

But you tolerate it


Chorus (similar analysis as before): The chorus also mentions age and the picture Swift paints of them in her head, supporting her reasoning for staying with them. Like before and Swift mentions her needing to
show off to get attention from her lover but they just tolerate it.


[Bridge]

While you were out buildin' other worlds, where was I?


Where's that man who'd throw blankets over my barbed wire?


I made you my temple, my mural, my sky


Now I'm beggin' for footnotes in the story of your life


Drawin' hearts in the byline


Always takin' up too much space or time


You assume I'm fine, but what would you do if I (I)


Bridge: This is my absolute favorite part of the song and Swift never misses with her bridges. It perfectly captures the emotions that run through her head while realizing that her lover does not truly care for her. My absolute favorite lines are “I made you my temple, my mural, my sky, now I’m begging for footnotes in the story of your life”.



[Chorus]

Break free and leave us in ruins?

Took this dagger in me and removed it

Gain the weight of you, then lose it


Believe me, I could do it

If it's all in my head, tell me now

Tell me I've got it wrong somehow


I know my love should be celebrated

But you tolerate it


Chorus: I feel as if this last and final chorus expresses Swift’s final feelings before leaving the relationship. The analogy of the line, “Took this dagger in me and removed it”, really describes the emotional pain she has trying to realize that her partner is not truly in love with her.


[Outro]

I sit and watch you



Comments

  1. Hi Lily, I'm also a swiftie, and over the summer my friend went into a really in-depth analysis (rant) about this song. It's cool to see the connections you made to Purple Hibiscus and reading into the song more. Great review/analysis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lily, thanks for the song review. Going verse by verse makes it a lot easier to understand the analysis of the lyrics while also not cutting of the song to much (like going line by line).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily!!!! I love this song so much as its always so cool to have a fellow swiftie analyze the lyrics that Taylor writes because often they have so much meaning behind them. I think a really interesting point that you bring up is the lyric "I notice everything you do or don't." I find it really interesting because I think sometimes when something is so wonderful with someone you notice those really great things but also can be disappointed when you are expecting something, even as simple as a compliment and it isn't received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lily! This was great to read, especially since I'm also a swiftie. I really appreciate you analyzing this song and explaining why her songs drive home to so many people. Every song she has is basically personalized for a specific scenario or feeling someone might have. Thank you for breaking this down into so much detail! I also liked the reference to Purple Hibiscus, because it really outlines Mama's perspective in their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Lily you worked really hard in this! I don't really like Taylor Swift that much but when you really look at any lyrics of a song you truly can make a story out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lily! This is embarrassing, but I actually do this often just for fun -- like, write down all the lyrics to a song and analyze them -- so I think it's really cool that you did this for the blog! I also listen to quite a bit of Taylor Swift's discography, but this actually isn't a song I'm super familiar with, so it was nice to get an introduction to this song. I also really liked the connection to Purple Hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

Ace of Spades review by Karenna