Ace of Spades review by Karenna

Even though I had heard of Ace of Spades before, I had never picked it up- or given it a second thought. Even after I won the book from the Uni High library, I left it on my desk for at least 3 months. However, when I finally picked it up in the middle of summer, I found that it actually had a really good plot. 

It starts off with Devon and Chiamaka; the only two black students at Niveus Private Academy, starting their Senior year. Devon is blunt, loves music, and has one friend. On the other side, Chiamaka is on top of the metaphorical high school food chain, saying "You have to make everyone wish they were you, wish they had your life." Living two different lives, they are forced to work together when a mysterious person who calls themself Aces starts to tarnish their reputations.

At this point in the story, people start turning on them both, and you are left theorizing who, exactly, could be Aces. As the book progresses, life slowly starts to get worse for the both of them. Texts, pictures, and secrets get leaked from their time at Niveus. When the two band together to see who is targeting them, they find out a plot that reaches all the way back to the 1960s. The final plot twist near the end of the book was hinted at the entire time, but still catches you by surprise when Chiamaka and Devon find out the true purpose of Niveus Academy.

Overall, Ace of Spades was a really good read, and I would recommend it. If you are interested in reading banned books, then this would also appeal to you, as it has been banned and challenged many times for LQBTQ+ topics and for the main plot being based of race and racism.

Comments

  1. Hey Karenna! Your book review was amazing! I like how you included details throughout the summary of the book to help paint a picture of the story! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karenna this is a really awesome book report! I'll definitely read the book, it looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this review, Karenna! Based on what you said, it seems like a fun read and I look forward to checking it out. It's also interesting that you won it from Uni's library, how did that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the March Madness book prediction the library put out last year right, so they gave me Ace of Spades!

      Delete
  4. This is a very nice review, Karenna! The book seems like an interesting read, and I like how you summarized the book while still leaving the reader wondering about the mystery. I'll definitely check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is agreat report Karenna! I might have to look into reading it cause this review was really interresting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard from one of my other friends that I should read this book and this just proved it! I'm definitely going to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch