Girl In Pieces Book Review

TW: This discussion mentions suicide, self harm, rape, abuse, and in the book itself there is metions of drug/alcohol, and other similar topics.

Hi! My name is Lily Rowell andiIn this week's blog I will be discussing the themes and topics in the melodramatic book, Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glascow.  


Girl in Pieces follows the story of a suicidal teen named Charlotte Davis. The book is set in a mental hospital in Minnesota  just when we are starting to get to know Charlotte as a character herself and then she ends up being released and ends up moving to a town in Arizona (where one of her friends from high school lives).Throughout her life she has gone through so much, which is one of the main causes of her self harm. Some of the many traumatic experiences she’s had include, neglect from her mother caused by her fathers passing, her ending up on the streets and being raped by strangers in practically a sex house, her friend (who she liked at the time) falling in love with someone else, and falling in love with someone who is older and not mentally avaliable. 


Throughout the book, the author beautifully describes pain and suffering, to a point where you can almost feel what Charlotte is going through/feeling at the time. The descriptions and an organized, yet disorganized feel to the chapters in the book makes the story feel realer and rawer. I also loved the flow of information we got about Charlotte, not knowing her as a whole character until the very end. The use of trauma and healing in the book taught me about grief in a whole different way than I thought of it before.


Some of the reasons this is my favorite book that I’ve read recently is because of the characters the author created. They all have some kind of unknown depth to them, which makes them seem more like real people than just fictional characters. I loved the descriptions of the characters from Charlotte's perspective but us as readers, were also able to form our own opinions on them. The storyline is very easy to follow (which is amazing for readers our age and just people with short attention spans). I also loved the structure of the storyline and the overall structure of the book, I feel that the chapters were all the right lengths. 


To conclude, the book's overall structure, storyline and characters made me enjoy this book even more. Charlotte as a character, was also likable (as some main characters aren't most of the time). This book will forever be one of my favorite book recommendations I’ve gotten from the internet and I would re-read this book over and over again. I very much suggest this book for people who enjoy darker romance stories and overall sad books. 


418 pages long

Available on Amazon for $7.13 (paperback)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Ace of Spades review by Karenna