A Review of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (with spoilers!)

 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a historical fiction novel about a actress making her way and carving out a place for herself in Hollywood, getting 7 husbands along the way. 

When I first started the book, it took me a while to get into reading it, because the first handful of chapters are the lead up to Evelyn's story. However, the rest of the book is spectacularly written. The story is written as a biography of Evelyn, starting with Monique (her biographer) asking her who her one true love is. Evelyn answers Celia St. James, a woman. Evelyn's seven husbands (and one wife) tell the story of her efforts to hide her sexuality from the societal norms from the 50's through the 80's-- when she quit acting.

Throughout the book, Evelyn is shown to be morally gray- she lied, deceived and manipulated people and the press to gain-- and keep-- her fame and money through her tumultuous relationships. 

I would highly recommend The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo to anyone who likes drama and a good read. There are multiple plot twists that keep you on your toes and continuing to read the book.

-Karenna

Comments

  1. Hey Karenna, this book seems quite enthralling! Evelyn seems like a classic deceiving, greedy, but extremely intelligent woman. I'm sure Evelyn is an interesting character in this book that adds a little spice! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this review very carefully because the novel has been on my TBR list for a while, but I am happy to say that I don't feel spoiled at all, and I'm excited to read this book! I'm definitely intrigued, and after I finish off this comment, I'm going to put it on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karenna, this seems like a great book! I've never read it but I've heard a lot about it. I find Evelyn as a main character really intriguing, so I'll definitely check this book out sometime soon! Thanks for a great review without spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book right after it came out, and I loved it -- the celebrity drama, the moral ambiguity, Evelyn's struggle with her ethnic identity, the format of the book, everything. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karenna! This book has been on my radar for the longest time. It sounds really interesting, and very different than from what I imagined it to be. It strays from what I normally read, but seems like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of this book a few times so it was definitely interesting reading your review! A morally grey character is always fun to read about. I will have to look into reading it now that I know what it is about! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Ace of Spades review by Karenna