The Blackthorn Key: A Review and Summary by Shanna Nayely Duay

    "The Blackthorn Key" is a historical fiction novel written by Kevin Sands. Set in 17th-century London, the story revolves around Christopher Rowe, an apothecary's apprentice, and his adventures in a world filled with alchemy, mystery, and danger.


    The book opens with a series of gruesome murders that seem connected to a cryptic code, leaving Christopher and his friend Tom to unravel the hidden secrets and decode the mysterious messages. The two uncover a plot that could threaten the entire city. The novel is a blend of historical accuracy and fantastical elements, incorporating alchemical puzzles, potions, and a richly detailed portrayal of London during the time of King Charles II.

    The challenges faced by Christopher and his friends emphasized themes of friendship, loyalty, and sacrifice, adding depth to the narrative. I felt a genuine connection to the characters, sharing in their triumphs and feeling a pang of sadness at their setbacks.

I really liked the book because it not only provided an intellectual challenge with its puzzles and alchemical conundrums but also resonated with me emotionally. The blend of historical accuracy and fantastical elements, coupled with well-crafted characters, made for a reading experience that stayed in my thoughts long after I closed the final chapter. Solving codes and discovering the secrets of alchemy got me really interested. The author's words painted a clear picture of the apothecary shop, the busy city, and the mysterious world of alchemy. It was like I was right there with Christopher, trying to figure everything out.

    Getting into the book, there were many points where I wasn't sure if I'd keep reading because it felt very historical which was uncharted territory for me at the time that I was reading. The author had a really good opening page which got me to purchase the book in the first place, telling the reader not to try any of the recipes and remedies at home as they were used by real apothecaries. 

    Overall, I'd give the book an 8/10. I especially liked the alchemy components in the book and the magical feel that it gave, making the story just that much more compelling. I'd recommend the book to anyone with an interest in historical settings and/or enjoys suspense and puzzles. This is a great book to introduce you to historical mystery and adventure.


Comments

  1. Hi Shanna! This book sound really interesting! Can I ask why you think the opening page that got you to purchase the book? Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

Ace of Spades review by Karenna