FEED: a review by Karenna

FEED by Mira Grant is a book about the zombie apocalypse caused in 2014, where they had cured the common cold and cancer-- but when mixed together created a new virus. Now, in 2040, brother-sister pair Shaun and Georgia "George" Mason and their friend Buffy are setting out to cover the presidential campaign, following and reporting on canidate Senator Ryman.

When the apocalypse hit in 2014-2015, news given to people by bloggers became the main source of trustworthy news as the government was trying to cover up the apocalypse. There are 3 main types of bloggers-- Newsies, Irwins and Fictionals. Like they sound, newsies report the news, and Fictionals write stories, songs, poems, ect.. Irwins basically go out and poke the zombies, then record and write about it. 

I really got into FEED because of its unique twist on the zombie apocalypse-- a topic which has been written about countless times-- while still retaining some of the common themes. As with most zombie books that I've read, zombies can only killed by shooting them in the head, and getting bitten by a zombie or coming in contact with any of their bodily fluids will turn you into a zombie. However, the way it's written as both from the perspective of a reporter, and the way that the book isn't centered around finding a cure or surviving is something I haven't seen before. Another thing is that there are zombie animals. Anything over 40 pounds can be infected/reanimated and passed from human to animal, and animal to human, causing strict laws on big dogs or horses. All these things made FEED really interesting to read. 

FEED is a really good book that I would recommend to anyone who likes zombies, or wants to try something new. If you don't like horror, you could read it to try it out as there isn't many scary or tense scenes. There's a little bit of gore, a lot of cursing, betrayal, secrets, and a pinch of death to round it all off. However, FEED is quite a long read (over 500 pages) and is a series with 3 other books, so it isn't a short read by any means.

Comments

  1. Hello Karenna, I saw you reading this book a few times, so it's cool to hear what it is actually about. It seems like an interesting book! This was a very great review! It seems like a fun version of a zombie apocalpyse book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karenna, similar to Miranda, I also have seen this book often but was never interested on what it was about. Although, I'm not into zombie related fiction, this series seems fun and entertaining! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this series seems so interesting! From how you've recommended it, I definitely have high hopes that I would thoroughly enjoy it, especially in contrast to the last zombie-like book I read, Apocalypse Cow. (Was just not my taste, unfortunately) I'm adding it to my TBR list, and seriously considering it! Lovely job, Karenna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karenna, as you know, I really enjoy zombie apocalypse stories (as you know from that month of me ranting to you about that one zombie book) so I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Ace of Spades review by Karenna