The Summer I Turned Pretty Book Review - By Lily Rowell

Hello, in this week's blog post I will be discussing the book, The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and the big debate surrounding whether or not to be Team Conrad or Team Jeremiah which is practically the Team Edward and Team Jacob debate of our generation. 


If you have not read the books or watched the show, the story follows a young girl named Isabel and her childhood friends Conrad and Jeremiah, who are brothers. Isabel, more commonly known as Belly, is a Sophomore in high school during the time that we meet her and conveniently during “the summer she turned pretty”. Throughout the first book Belly navigates her love life with the two brothers, her drastic change in looks, and the death of someone close to her which affects her relationship with the two as well. Summary aside, one of the biggest debates (both fans of the movie and show are involved in), is who Belly should (or should have) ended up with. 


Both brothers, as most of us can agree, have attractive aspects to them and some not. I however am Team Conrad, which may be more of an unpopular opinion since Conrad was very rude to her towards the beginning of the story. Before reading on, his overall demeanor was sort of a turn off for most readers (including me) but as the story progressed I was able to see the amount of love that he had for Belly. Whether it be when they were in a relationship or when Belly was with Jeremiah, he always wanted to support her which made him “a better option” in my eyes. Conrad had been through tons, which isn’t necessarily an excuse, but instead explained his past actions/behavior around Belly and his family too. The loss of his football career and secrets that he had to keep all played into his more “bitchy” actions. 


In addition, I could see why someone could be Team Jeremiah, he is more attractive in the beginning, lets Belly do whatever she wants, is kinder to her, but if you have read the books he does some pretty shady things that I cannot go into without spoiling the entire story. His overall character is more light and bubbly but his constant rivalry with his brother makes it feel like he just wants Belly because Conrad loves her. Now he is the younger brother (and according to stereotypes) he does have it easier, which is also somewhat proven throughout the story. He also has a better relationship with his Dad, has more freedom etc. etc. but there is no doubt that he hasn’t had bad things happen to him that could have caused him to act out like Conrad but he didn’t. Jeremiah does have tons of amazing qualities but sometimes he lets his jealousy for his brother get in the way of how he actually feels about someone. 

To conclude, The Summer I Turned Pretty is one of the classic rivalry between lovers (and brothers), which is the kind of book that every teenage girl loves. Since the two brothers have some redeeming qualities I can see why people could be on either team but I feel that Conrad’s relationship with Belly felt more like love, rather than a competition to me. Overall, the story is a very interesting read or watch and I definitely suggest it!

Comments

  1. I've seen a lot about this on all of my social media for you pages and I always wanted to check it out! This might be put on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilly! I have read this book and watched the show! I also noticed how the character's personalities are different in the book than in the show and it does make the decision between Conrad and Jerimiah even harder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

Ace of Spades review by Karenna