Found Heaven Review and Analysis -- Lily Rowell

 Marking over two months after Conan Gray’s 3rd album, Found Heaven’s wildly anticipated release, Gray has shared insight into the meaning behind his songs in a Rolling Stone interview. This week’s blog post will discuss a few of my favorites from the album while analyzing Grays’ original meanings from the tracks he mentioned.

Conan Gray, if you are not familiar with who he is, is an upcoming pop/indie singer who has had many hits, with his original fanbase being grounded in YouTube with his covers of songs such as Lana Del Ray’s Video Games. Gray had filmed vlogs and many other popular kinds of YouTube videos and then signed with Republic Records. He has produced two other albums and an EP. 

The first track Gray mentions is titled, “Forever With Me”. The name is a clue as to what the song is about; a failed relationship. In my interpretation, Gray is reflecting on the relationship, stating that he still feels that this person is and will be “forever with him” for reasons unknown. In his Rolling Stone interview, he says that “Forever With Me is about reminiscing about something that came and went”, supporting my original interpretation. He also states that it’s him expressing these negative emotions but realizing that the person will forever be a part of his life. He closes with a very powerful statement, “I think when you love someone, even if you break up, there's always going to be love for them”. In his and mine opinions it’s best to understand that you will never have what you had, but they will forever be a part of you. “Forever With Me” is a very underrated track on Found Heaven and is definitely a song that would be played in High School Musical, but in a good way. 

The second track Gray mentions is one of my personal favorites, “Bourgeoisieses”. The already peculiar name hints that this song is a bit different than the others and Gray even says that it’s the weirdest song on the album. The song, pretty obviously after a listen, is poking fun at rich people. The song is from the point of view of a poorer person (Gray), who wants to be “with the Bourgeoiseses”. On Gray’s first album, Kid Krow, he had also written a song about and titled, Affluenza. It instead, talks about the problems of growing up rich but is not written about Gray’s personal experiences. 

Gray then discusses mine and Gray’s personal favorite, “Alley Rose”. Alley Rose is a classic power ballad that you could scream-cry to in the car. The song makes you think of a special person that you lost, even if you haven’t been in a relationship, it really gets you in the feels. The bridge is the best part of the song; 

And I don’t even care 

If it makes me sound insane 

I ran my fingers through your hair 

And I thanked God to touch the flame

‘Cause I swore necks were made for brusin’ 

I swore lips were made for lies 

And I thought if you’d ever leave me 

That I’d be the reason why

And I don’t even care 

If it’s just a summer fling 

If it’s all experimental 

And you go back to safer things

But I swore hands were made for fighting 

I swore eyes were made to cry 

But you’re the first person that I’ve seen 

Who’s proven that might be a lie 

I definitely recommend giving this song a listen because it has such amazing songwriting while being sad and upbeat. 

Gray’s second to last song that he mentions is “Fainted Love”. Fainted Love, as the title says, is about a love that is not what you deserve, yet you accept it. Going back to one of my earlier blog posts it has a similar meaning to “Tolerate It” by Taylor Swift. Fainted Love is another one of my favorites and is a catchy song about not getting what you need from any kind of relationship. 

Finally, Gray talks about “Boys and Girls”. Boys and Girls is truly an 80s song with references to superstars such as David Bowie. Gray describes the meaning of this song as a song dedicated to a painfully hot person that you cannot seem to stop liking, but then you realize that everyone wants them too. This song has a lighter meaning compared to some of the others but is still equally as good. 

To conclude, Found Heaven is an amazing 80’s inspired album with many power ballads and sad songs. The album has such a refreshing pop sound and is so fun to dance to. Give it a listen!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Recommend Based Off Your Favorite Taylor Swift Album - By Lily Rowell

How an Ending can Ruin a Story: Akata Witch

Ace of Spades review by Karenna